Monday 19 January 2015

naturally...

I absolutely love nature and natural things. I always have. I love being among the trees, growing tomatoes in my garden, going camping, and being by the lake. For as long as I can remember, I've always been a bit obsessed with ecology and preserving nature. Thankfully, I grew up in a family where we actively recycled, composted, and gardened, and my parents have always loved camping as well - so the 'nature experience' was something that was ingrained in me very early on.

Preserving nature is something that we can all easily do, and to varying degrees. I truly believe that we can all do even the smallest changes to our daily lives to make a big impact, ecologically. That's part of the reason why I'm immersing myself so deeply in making as many dishcloths as possible - it's a small thing that will (hopefully) encourage the people around me to use reusable dishcloths rather than paper towels.

It only makes sense, with this thinking, to make some nature-themed dishcloths - doesn't it? 

I recently discovered the Garden Dishcloth to Knit (Leisure Arts) book; it has a dozen dishcloth patterns that are - as you may guess just from the title - all garden themed. Each dishcloth has a different image of something you may find in your garden, and they're lovely. I can absolutely see myself making at least half of these dishcloths for my MiL or my grandmother, who both love gardening and being in their gardens.

One pattern did jump out at me, though, that I simply had to start yesterday: the frog dishcloth. I'm making three at once, in two shades of green and one in cream. And, dare I say, I'm starting this early for Christmas. Don't hate, I just start wicked early on my Christmas knitting!

These will be for DH's niece, who grew up obsessed with frogs. She had a collection of frog toys, frogs on her clothes, a frog mural on her bedroom wall, and even pet frogs. Granted, she grew out of her obsession with frogs and moved onto other interests, but she is in university atm earning some kind of degree in science and (almost) living on her own. Dishcloths come in handy for independent living, and I hope that the frog dishcloths will come in handy! 

The only trick is, when I'm done them, I have to not misplace them between now and December so I remember to gift them to her!

No comments:

Post a Comment